Thursday, May 28, 2009

Which Cupcakes Reign Supreme?

Jill: After being a self-proclaimed cupcake addict, Neil and I decided to try out another bakery that some have said to have the best cupcakes in NYC. We just had to settle this debate for ourselves. And the contenders are:

Buttercup Bake shop
973 2nd Avenue
(Between 51st and 52nd Streets)
New York, NY 10022
www.buttercupbakeshop.com

VS.

Crumbs Bake Shop
Union Square
124 University Place
www.crumbs.com

Buttercup: Neil and I have been visiting this location on the East Side for about a year every once in a while sometimes on our way to get a gyro or some other snack. This place was opened by one of the owners of Magnolia Bakery and they specialize in the retro stylings of baked goods, something like Granny used to make. They have cupcakes a little on the smaller or average size as one would bake at home with pretty traditional but popular flavorings (chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, lady baltimore, devildog, apple spice) but consistently delicious, just enough frosting but not too much. Personally I feel as though too much frosting overpowers the flavor of the cake and leaves you reaching for a beverage to wash it down. Better off getting there early as sometimes there are less to choose from in the cases on the busy weekend nights and best eaten fresh before the icing has a chance to get dry. Bakery is pretty small with only about 2-3 tables so it is sometimes best just to get them to go. I do enjoy their cupcakes as a sweet treat once in a while but not necessarily worth a drive into the city just for these.

Crumbs:
I found this particular location just to be pleasing from the outside. Very modern design and furnishings on the inside that appeared more like espresso bar(which being an avid and addicted coffee drinker, I found very pleasing) than mom and pop bakery. I could hardly help myself from drooling while perousing the case with A LOT of varieties of cookies, cakes, muffins... and the beloved cupcake. Neil ordered the Pistachio Flavor while I got the Caramel Apple. They are larger than the average cupcake and have a very different domed shape to them than the average. They have some of the traditional flavorings, chocolate, vanilla etc but have ventured into the dressed up variety with ganache, white chocolate and even fondant toppings. I found out they actually started with just a vanilla and coconut as their first offering before expanding. I was plesantly surprised when cutting into the cupcake that they fill the centers! The caramel apple actually had apples on the inside and the pistachio had a green icing not to exclude the caramel drizzle on mine and the rimming of chopped pistachios on Neil's. I found there to be almost too much icing for me personally but hey I know there are some of you out there that have confessed to diving into the icing containers when there is some left over from icing cupcakes and having it straight up. I think they can do a little more to flavor the cake to match the name like in the case with the pistachio. It was lacking a bit in that flavor other than the rimming on the top, the icing was merely green and the inside just vanilla. I guess you wouldnt want to over do it. I do also like that the sale from their celebrity apprentice cupcake goes to helping the St. Jude's children's hospital. A great reasont to take a bite.

I think it is a tie for different reasons. I like the simplicity and the understated old-fashioned style bakery in Buttercup but the expansion for the palette's sake with Crumbs and the larger size.

Take the cupcake challenge and let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment