Sunday, June 7, 2009

GLYHOP



GLYHOP Bakery & Pancake House
149 Glen Street
Glen Cove, NY 11542
www.glyhop.com



Neil: Breakfast is often said to be the most important meal of the day. This is especially true at GLYHOP (God Loves You House of Pancakes) where I enjoyed a large portion of Strawberries and Cream French Toast (challah bread filled with strawberries and cream cheese). So large in fact, that I was only able to eat half. Unluckily for me, my dog started to eat the other half that I brought home. Don't be fooled by the name of the establishment, there's nothing Churchy about it... except for the fact that it's attached to a religous book store. Though some may say that eating at GLYHOP is as close to Heaven on Earth as you can get. ;-) I'm glad that Jill ordered a side of hash browns because I feel that you always need a balance of sweet and salty.

Jill: I have to say that when Neil first brought up this place as a new venture I was slightly skeptical. Walking inside the restaurant felt very comfortable and welcoming with red and white checkered tables and friendly waitstaff. It was pretty empty but I have a feeling this place would be hopping with the Sunday brunch crowd. They only serve breakfast and lunch and are open daily until 3 pm Tues-Fri and 4 Sat/Sun. I ordered the Wholegrain Maple Pecan Pancakes and opted to have roasted apples on top. I think aside from some bacon pancakes I once consumed upstate NY, these come in a very close second as the best I have had. They may sound a little "granola" if you will but they had a delicious crust on the outside, not too heavy and a very genours portion of 4 ginormous pancakes. We also ordered a side of the Home Fries which I liked because they were the cubed potatoes rather than the hash that were nicely seasoned and included some onions and peppers. I loved the complementary cornbread that they offer you on the table as well as the real maple syrup and reg pancake syrup on the table. I would definitely venture back for breakfast or try the lunch menu of wraps/sandwhiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment