Sunday, June 14, 2009

Poco Loco



Poco Loco
1431 Old Northern Blvd.

Roslyn, NY 11576

Jill: This little fiesta is located closeby in nearby Roslyn Village. Looking like a quaint old house in Roslyn you can find this lowkey Mexican restaurnt specializing in both more traditional and Tex-Mex favs. The margaritas here are worth trying. They are large enough to take a bath in and pack a punch, they are rather delicious. They offer complimentary chips and salsa that we sorta devoured with margaritas while awaiting the food. I liked that there was a make your own combo where you can pick either 2 or 3 items and chose to do so ordering the beef enchilada, tostada and chicken chimichanga that came with a side of refried beans and yellow rice. In the warmer months you can opt to sit outside on the side porch and most nights they offer a live mariachi singer that walks around with his guitar (who took the night off while we were there). The people next to us ordered a chorizo dish and enchilada which looked tasty as well and I may try on another occasion. Neils dish looked very authentic in its little pot when it arrived at the table and if I could eat seafood would have tried it. It seemed like a very generous portion and we both felt moosed by the time we got the check. The service was good and the food was tasty. Perhaps the check was more than some other places we have dined but not unreasonable. I would recommend this place if you were looking for a local place with outside dining and tasty Mexican dishes.

Neil: I decided to order the Paella which was a daily special, so I don't know if they happen to serve it everyday.
This paella came with mussels, chicken and chorizo. When it came, the waiter first put down the pot and wooden trivet on the table then picked it up again, looked inside and then took a few spoonfuls laden with mussels out and served them on my plate. I've had paella before which was, I suppose, easier to eat because it didn't come with the mussels in the shells and chicken not on the bone, but this was the real deal -- rustic as Jill called it. At first I was trying to pick the rice out of the shells, not knowing there was a ton of rice still in the pot. I happily opened the pot to serve myself seconds and even thirds, and there was still rice leftover when I decided to throw in the towel. If you're feeling lazy and don't want to work to eat your food, I would say stay away. But if you're looking for a more authentic meal, go right ahead and jump in, the water's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment